Thursday, May 24, 2012

Summer 2012 - Let's Go!

I have been contemplating the idea of starting a blog for a while. A few of my close friends blog, and it seems to be a good way to share interests and experiences with others - especially when starting chapters in life. So, here it is... my first blog post! This blog is about living life to the fullest and letting your soul sing!

I just finished my fourth year of undergraduate study at Mansfield University. I cannot believe how quickly the time has flown by! Only one semester stands between me and a Bachelor's Degree. But that's a topic for another post :)

On a different note... summer is here!!! I usually look at summer as a time to reset myself before returning to school in the fall. The only difference this summer is that I will not be returning to Mansfield, but I will be student teaching in State College. To kick off the summer, I have been "catching up" on the sleep I was deprived of during school. Enough of that - now I need to be productive! Here is my list of summer goals:

1. Get a Job - I have applied several places, so hopefully I'll hear back soon!

2. Get Fit! - Every semester I tell myself that I will go to the gym on a regular basis, but that usually doesn't happen. Sometimes I start off well, but by the end of the semester I've given up. Summer, on the other hand, is the time when I can actually put in the time to get in shape! I would like to drop a few pounds, but I'm focusing more on my overall fitness than my weight. A friend of mine decided to try a plan called "Couch-to-5K", and I think I'm going to give it a shot, too. It calls for 3 sessions a week over the course of 9 weeks. Week 1 starts with 20 minute sessions of alternating jogging (60 seconds) and walking (90 seconds). By Week 9, it has you jogging 30 minutes without stopping! Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

3. Get in Teacher Mode - In the fall, I will be student teaching. This means that I will be going to school early every morning just like a "real" teacher. If you know me well, you know that I do NOT like waking up in the morning. So one priority of teacher mode is waking up early! In further preparation for student teaching, I would like to organize all of my music education materials. I have handouts, lesson plans, books, and CDs, but I have no clue what I really have! I would also like to write some lesson plans, or at least brainstorm ideas, to make my life a little easier in the fall.

4. Find an Apartment - Unless I want to live in a box while student teaching, I need find a place to live! Luckily, my friend Danielle is also student teaching in the State College area, so we are looking for a 2-bedroom apartment within reasonable driving distance of our placements.

5. Prepare for Grad School Applications - I am hoping to go to graduate school next fall (2013) for a Master's degree in vocal performance. Therefore, I need to keep my voice in shape and prepare to make a pre-screening recording for application purposes. Application fees are rather expensive, so I need to continue researching schools thoroughly to decide where I want to apply.

6. Have Fun! - In addition to accomplishing this list of summer goals, I want to have fun! I am a fun-loving person who laughs a lot! I have several summer adventures planned already, which are sure to be a good time, including World Choir Games (Cincinnati, OH) and Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia National Convention (Orlando, FL). And I'm sure there will be more to come!


Bring it on Summer 2012!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment