Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Drink the Water





A little while ago, I saw a post online that read:

A pessimist sees the glass half empty.
An optimist sees the glass half full.
The opportunist drinks the water.

The last sentence made me think. Opportunism is defined as "the art, policy, or practice of taking advantage of opportunities or circumstances often with little regard for principles or consequences." This has somewhat of a negative connotation. However, being the optimistic person that I am, I think of opportunism in a more positive manner. Is "drinking the water" always a bad thing? Not in my opinion! Now, I'm not saying that everyone should selfishly promote themselves without regard to others or do as they please without thinking. But I am saying that sometimes you don't have time to sit and ponder before making a decision.

As a young adult nearing the end of my undergraduate study, I know that the decisions I make will influence my future/career. I also know that experience is crucial in the field of music. How do you get experience if you don't take advantage of the opportunities that come your way? You don't. For example, if someone offers me a wedding gig, I don't ask how much they will pay me. I check the dates, and if I'm available I take it! Why? Because I like helping people, I like singing, and it's more experience! Of course you should be able to make a little money, especially if you have to travel, but I've found that the experience is just as important for me as a young performer.

I have many friends who are beginning careers as music educators - some have found jobs, and many have not. The ones that take advantage of every opportunity seem more likely to get a job. By that I mean the ones who are willing to move anywhere, teach any grade levels, teach any course-load, or even settle for a few long-term substitute positions during the first few years. Understandably, some people cannot search for jobs so freely. That doesn't mean they won't have success, but their opportunities will certainly be limited.

You never know where a small opportunity may take you. If I've learned one thing in life so far, it's that experience is key - work, school, stage experience, musical experience, training, etc. So don't be afraid to "drink the water" and get more experience!








2 comments:

  1. Well typed Derek! It's not always the most convenient or easiest decision; however as long as you keep on learning from your opportunities that you take, you'll be fine.

    PS expect a call before 7 tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your advice about not always taking a long time to consider every option... and just make a decision! I sometimes get myself so wrapped up in how to choose that I don't even see the joys in the choices!

    ReplyDelete