Saturday, August 24, 2013

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's back to school I go!

I have completed my first week of graduate studies at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) - and what a week it was! So far, I love everything about it. I am pursuing a Master of Music in Vocal Performance, and my courses are absolutely great: Vocal Pedagogy, Opera Performance Technique, Alexander Technique for Performers, Chamber Singers, Opera, and of course Voice Lessons. Unfortunately, most of those courses (in some combination) fall on Mondays... But as the week goes on, the days get progressively lighter. 

I am a graduate assistant, so there are other duties required of me. I assist with a section of music history, which requires my attending the class, taking attendance, and keeping records. My other assistantship duty is working in the box office - mostly the school of music box office, but occasionally the main university one. All of the work is pretty simple, and I certainly can't complain. I work several hours each week for the university, and the university gives me money to go to school here. Sounds like my kind of deal. 

I have been spending a lot of (much needed) time in the practice room. Auditions for the fall opera (Albert Herring) are taking place at the beginning of the week; mine is on Tuesday. Then on Wednesday, I have my first in-class audition for Opera Performance Technique. I've been a little frustrated and displeased with my voice, but I know it's my own fault for not staying in better vocal shape the past few months. Needless to say, I am slowly getting back to where I need to be. Practice makes better. 

I can already tell that grad school will take some getting used to. In undergrad, it seems that you went to class or rehearsal all day (everyday) with a few breaks placed sporadically. Sure, you had work for all the classes, but you could kind of sift through what you really need to get done. Here, I have a few classes or rehearsals each day, but there is a lot more down time. Here's the clincher. Although I have fewer courses, I have more work for each one. I don't think it will be 'hard' to do the work because most of it is enjoyable thus far; it's just very time-consuming. Lots and lots of reading...

I really think this is going to be an amazing two years. Even with all of the work. After all, that's kind of why I'm here - to "master" the art of singing and performing (or at least get a whole lot better!). 


No comments:

Post a Comment